It’s time for some good ol’ pasta! Pasta happens to be one of my most adored grub and it’s an absolute must-have in our home, y’all.
Now, I’m just as keen on a heapin’ bowl of piping hot veggie spaghetti bolognese as the next person, but when those summer months roll around, I sure do enjoy switchin’ it up a bit.
Here’s the dish I’ve been partial to lately: a vegan pasta salad with homemade pesto, slow roasted cherry tomatoes and chickpeas.
I go ahead and crush my pesto in a mortar and pestle till it’s smooth as silk and packed with flavor that’ll knock your socks off.
Them cherry tomatoes are cooked real slow on low heat in the oven, which just brings out their sweetness like no other and adds that irresistible caramelized flavor. Y’all need to give this a try!
This here pasta salad makes the perfect BBQ side dish or even a great addition to your next picnic outing.
If y’all whip up this recipe at home, don’t forget tag your photo with #myvibrantkitchen on Instagram. There ain’t nothing pleases me more than seeing all your beautiful recreations.
And don’t you dare forget to sign up for My Vibrant Kitchen’s newsletter so you can get the latest recipes, vegan lifestyle tips and travel tales delivered straight to your inbox.
Vegan Pesto Pasta Salad With Roasted Cherry Tomatoes And Chickpeas Recipe
- 250 g vine ripened cherry tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 bunch fresh basil leaves (50 g)
- 75 g cashew nuts
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 400 g pasta
- Pre-heat the oven to 140˚C. Then place the cherry tomatoes in a baking dish, toss in 1 Tbsp of olive oil and season with pepper and salt. Do the same with the chickpeas in a second baking dish. Pop both in the oven and bake until the chickpeas turn a light golden brown and the tomatoes start shrivelling and splitting open.
- For the pesto, peel the garlic clove and crush it with a pinch of salt in a pestle and mortar.
- Wash and roughly chop the basil leaves, then add to the crushed garlic. Crush and grind until you have a paste like consistency.
- Now add the cashew nuts and crush until everything is well combined. Then add the olive oil, lemon juice and pepper and salt to taste.
- If you don’t have a pestle and mortar you can also just through all the pesto ingredients in a blender or food processor and pulse until combined.
- Cook your pasta, I chose penne and drain once al dente.
- Mix everything in a big bowl and add more olive oil, pepper and salt to taste if necessary.
- You can serve the pasta salad hot or cold. Enjoy!
For the days when you want to explore a variety of vegan dishes, I have some amazing recipes that you can try.
Relish in the freshness and wholesomeness of my Vegan Loaded Black Bean Salad recipe. It is teeming with nutrition and immense flavors.
If you’re in the mood for something warm and cheesy, without the cheese of course, give my Vegan Sweet Potato Mac ’N Cheese recipe a shot.
Now for those who adore Asian cuisines, indulge in my Vegan Coconut Tomato Dhal recipe.
And finally, if your taste buds are craving something Mediterranean, then be sure to try out my Vegan Mediterranean Grilled Tofu Wraps recipe.
My aim is to provide recipes that are not only vegan but also deliciously hearty!