It’s pasta time! Pasta is one of my favourite things to eat and an absolute staple in our house.
Now, I love bowls full of steaming hot veggie spaghetti bolognese just as much as the next person but in the hot summer months I like to mix it up a little.
Here’s what I’ve been loving lately: vegan pasta salad with homemade pesto, roasted cherry tomatoes and chickpeas. I crush and combine my pesto in a pestle and mortar and the outcome is incredibly creamy and full of flavour.
The cherry tomatoes are slow roasted on a low heat in the oven which really brings out the sweetness and adds an irresistible caramelised flavour. You ought to try this!
This pasta salad makes the perfect BBQ side dish and a great addition to your next picnic.
If you make this recipe at home be sure to tag your photo #myvibrantkitchen on Instagram. I love seeing all your beautiful recreations. And don’t forget to sign up for My Vibrant Kitchen’s newsletter to get the latest recipes, vegan lifestyle tips and travel diaries straight to your inbox.
- 250 g vine ripened cherry tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 bunch fresh basil leaves (50 g)
- 75 g cashew nuts
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 400 g pasta
- Pre-heat the oven to 140˚C. Then place the cherry tomatoes in a baking dish, toss in 1 Tbsp of olive oil and season with pepper and salt. Do the same with the chickpeas in a second baking dish. Pop both in the oven and bake until the chickpeas turn a light golden brown and the tomatoes start shrivelling and splitting open.
- For the pesto, peal the garlic clove and crush it with a pinch of salt in a pestle and mortar.
- Wash and roughly chop the basil leaves, then add to the crushed garlic. Crush and grind until you have a paste like consistency.
- Now add the cashew nuts and crush until everything is well combined. Then add the olive oil, lemon juice and pepper and salt to taste.
- If you don’t have a pestle and mortar you can also just through all the pesto ingredients in a blender or food processor and pulse until combined.
- Cook your pasta, I chose penne and drain once al dente.
- Mix everything in a big bowl and add more olive oil, pepper and salt to taste if necessary.
- You can serve the pasta salad hot or cold. Enjoy!