Hold onto yer hats, y’all – we got ourselves a Vegan Pumpkin Zesty Orange & Crushed Black Pepper Cake here, and it’s topped with a Cardamom Cheesecake Topping.
Quite the mouthful to say, I reckon. And I bet your bottom dollar it’s just as much of a mouthful to chow down on too – and a mighty tasty one at that.
Just had to cram all that goodness into the title! This cake is like settin’ off fireworks in your mouth and surely does deserve such a rip-roarin’ name.
It’s got that fruity charm (kinda like pumpkin), it’s zesty, packing pepper punch, and chock-full of orange goodness.
AND let me tell ya, it comes with the creamiest baked cardamom cheesecake topping.
Might be thinking this sounds like an intense flavor rodeo. Well sir, you ain’t wrong there – but I assure ya it ain’t overly so.
Curiosity piqued? It’s hard to pass up on this beauty.
This here cake would be just perfect for enjoying on crisp autumn afternoon. So go brew yerself some tea and bake up a pumpkin-y storm. Yeehaw!
Vegan Pumpkin Zesty Orange And Crushed Black Pepper Cake With Cardamom Cheesecake Topping Recipe
1 hour 30 mins
- 1½ cups soft light brown sugar
- 1 cup sunflower oil
- 3 Tbsp ground flax seeds
- 6 Tbsp water
- juice of ½ orange
- zest of 1 orange
- 3 cups white all purpous flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1½ cups pumpkin puree, can or home-made
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp crushed black pepper
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1½ cup cashews, soaked or boiled
- ½ cup non-dairy milk
- 2 Tbsp white sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 3 tsp ground cardamom
- For this recipe you need 1½ cups pumpkin puree. You can buy a can or buy a pumpkin (choose one suitable for baking) and make the puree at home.
- I used half of a Kabocha Squash, cut it in pieces, roasted it in the oven until the flesh was soft and a knife cut through it easily. Then I removed the tough pumpkin skin and using a potato masher, I mashed the pumpkin flesh until I had a smooth puree.
- To make the flax-eggs, mix the ground flaxseeds with water and stir until it starts to gelify.
- Whisk together the sugar and oil in a big mixing bowl.
- Zest an organic and unwaxed orange using a grater or citrus zester and add the zest to the mixing bowl. Then stir in the juice of half of the orange.
- Add the flour and baking soda and fold it in the batter.
- Now mix in the pumpkin puree, cinnamon, black pepper and vanilla extract.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180˚C.
- For the cheesecake layer add the cashews (soaked overnight or boiled for 10 minutes) to a high speed blender of food processor, add the milk, sugar, vanilla extract, lemon juice and ground cardamom and blitz until you have a smooth, creamy texture.
- Grease a cake tin and pour/scrape in the pumpkin cake batter and then the cheesecake mixture on top.
- Pop it in the oven and bake for 1 hour or until a knife comes out clean.
If you enjoyed my recipes, there are many more you can try.
For breakfast, have a go at making my Vegan Toffee Apple Breakfast Muffins. They’re a delightful way to start your day.
If you’re in the mood for something comforting and decadent, I highly recommend trying out my Vegan Spiced Chai Cheesecake, it is an absolute taste sensation!
For those who prefer classic flavours, my Vegan Spiced Carrot Cake (Gluten Free) is always a big hit.
And if you want to indulge in some warm comfort food that’s perfect for fall or winter, give my Vegan German Apple Crumble Pie a whirl.