Well, even though we’re only halfway through the fall season, it’s already feelin’ like a chill winter this week.
With the tricks and treats of Halloween and the turkey feast of Thanksgiving all wrapped up, and that ol’ Yuletide less than a month away, I reckon I’m deeply immersed in that festive spirit!
I’ve done more than my fair share of holiday bakin’ this year. Y’all recall those pecan, cranberry and salted caramel brownies, those German coconut macaroons, and that sweet caramel apple crumble? And I assure you, my list goes on.
Thought it was ’bout time to share some festive hearty main dishes and sides for a change.
Today I’m startin’ off with my delightful vegan red lentil nut roast.
Packed full of pulses, veggies, and mixed nuts; seasoned right with holiday spices and rosemary; topped off with sweet but zingy hot cranberries – this dish is pure delight.
Just perfect for your next cozy Sunday dinner or even for that big Christmas dinner!
You won’t find it all dry or crumbly – matter fact it’s juicy as ever! You can prepare it the night before then reheat in your oven just before you serve. It also makes incredibly good leftovers!
If y’all whip up this recipe at home be sure to tag your photo #myvibrantkitchen on Instagram. Love seein’ all your beautiful remakes.
Don’t forget now to sign up for My Vibrant Kitchen’s newsletter to get the latest recipes, vegan lifestyle tips and travel diaries straight in your inbox.
Vegan Red Lentil Nut Roast With Hot Cranberries Recipe
1 hour 35 mins
For the roast:
- 100 g red lentils
- 100 g chickpeas
- 2 Tbsp chickpea water aka aquafaba
- 50 g tomato puree
- 1 – 2 Tbsp fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, grated
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red onion, diced
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 Tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1½ tsp vegetables stock
- 1 Tbsp nutritional yeast flakes (optional)
- 175 g chestnut mushrooms, finely chopped
- 200 g mixed nuts
- 50 g plain white flour
- 75 g oats
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
For the cranberry sauce:
- 150 g dried cranberries
- 250 ml water
- Generous splash of lime
- ½ tsp maple syrup
- Cook the red lentils in a saucepan until tender. You want the texture to be on the softer side, take them off the heat when they start to fall apart. Transfer the lentils into a big mixing bowl.
- Toast the mixed nuts (I used almonds, pecans, Brazil nuts, hazelnuts and cashews) in a non-stick frying pan without any oil. When they start turning golden brown take them off the heat and roughly chop them into pieces.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180˚C (fan oven).
- Add the rest of the roast ingredients to the mixing bowl: chickpeas, aquafaba, tomato puree, rosemary, carrot, garlic cloves, onion, nutmeg, cumin, smoked paprika, pepper, olive oil, soy sauce, vegetable stock powder, yeast flakes, mushrooms, nuts, white flour, oats and maple syrup.
- Mix everything to combine. I like my roast rather herby which is why I added 2 Tbsp of chopped rosemary. Add less for a more subtle rosemary flavour.
- Line a loaf tin with baking paper which makes it easier to remove once baked and grease it with oil.
- Transfer the loaf mixture into the tin and press everything firmly down and into the edges.
- Pop the loaf in the oven on the lowest shelf for 60 minutes. If the top starts turning quite dark you can cover it with aluminium foil, be careful not to burn yourself and then pop it back in the oven.
- Once the loaf is out of the oven, carefully remove it from the tin and transfer it upside down (the way you will serve it) onto a lined baking sheet.
- Pop it back in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until all the sides are golden brown and crispy. Make sure not to burn it though!
- Meanwhile make the cranberry sauce by adding the water, dried cranberries, maple syrup and lime juice to a small saucepan and cook them for 5 to 10 minutes until all the liquid has been absorbed.
- Cut the roast into slices and serve with the hot cranberries. Enjoy!
If you enjoyed the meals I’ve previously shared, there’s more where they came from!
Be sure to check out my Vegan Festive Black Risotto Stuffed Pumpkins recipe. It’s both delicious and perfect for a special occasion.
If you’re in the mood for something lighter, try my Balsamic Glazed Brussels Sprouts With Pomegranate And Toasted Walnuts recipe.
Looking for a vegan twist on a classic Italian dish? My Vegan Pumpkin Fettuccine Alfredo With Sage & Mushrooms recipe will hit the spot.
And don’t miss out on my hearty and flavourful Vegan Spiced Lentil Burgers recipe.
All of these recipes are guaranteed to delight your tastebuds while keeping your meals plant-based.