Well now, I’m a breakfast at any time of day type of person. I’m all about them long, late Sunday brunches but can just as easily put together a breakfast for dinner.
This here recipe fits both them occasions like a glove! Shakshuka (sometimes spelled Shakshouka or Chakchuka) used to be my top pick every dang time we’d head out for breakfast in London before I switched over to being vegan.
A hearty and spicy tomato dish, eggs poached right in the bubbling sauce and usually served with slices of fresh sourdough bread.
After changing up my chow though, getting this dish without eggs felt somewhat disheartening.
Now don’t get me wrong, the sauce is plenty tasty (and full of garlic!) without the eggs but them eggs add more texture, flavor and protein.
And that’s where silken tofu enters the scene. Texture-wise it’s darn close to eggs and with some seasonings just right, the taste gets pretty similar too.
So after messing around a bit in my kitchen, I whipped up this vegan version: a rich, spiced tomato and pepper sauce topped with shockingly eggy tofu scramble and a sprinkle of fresh coriander.
Let it simmer for about 30 minutes for those flavors to mingle.
Serve it for breakfast, lunch or dinner – anytime really. A slice of crusty bread for dunking is absolutely necessary though.
If you whip up this recipe at home be sure to tag your snap #myvibrantkitchen on Instagram. I love seeing all your beautiful recreations.
And don’t forget to sign up for My Vibrant Kitchen’s newsletter to get fresh recipes, vegan lifestyle tips and travel tales straight into your inbox.
Vegan Shakshuka With Scrambled Tofu Recipe
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 white onion, diced
- 1 red pepper, roughly chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp whole cumin seeds
- 2 tsp sweet paprika powder
- 800 g tinned tomatoes
- 1 tsp white caster sugar
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 350 g firm silken tofu
- Pepper & black salt (kala namak) to taste
- Pinch of turmeric
- Handful of fresh coriander
- Heat the oil in a large lidded frying pan over medium heat and add the onions. Once the onions turn translucent add the red pepper. Cook until the pepper is soft then add the 5 minced garlic, cumin seeds and sweet paprika.
- Fry for another couple of minutes then add the tinned tomatoes, sugar, lemon juice and salt.
- Cover the pan with the lid, turn down the heat and let it simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile to make the tofu scramble add the remaining minced garlic clove to a small frying pan. Fry for a minute in a drizzle of oil then add the silken tofu. Carefully stir and break the tofu into pieces and fry for another couple of minutes.
- Season with pepper and black salt to taste and add a pinch of turmeric for colour.
- Black salt gives the tofu scramble the eggy flavour but you can use regular salt or sea salt if you don’t have any black salt.
- Serve the shakshuka in bowls, top with the tofu scramble and chopped fresh coriander. Sliced sourdough for dipping highly recommended! Enjoy!
Beyond these delicious recipes, there are many other inventive creations I’d love for you to try from My Vibrant Kitchen.
First up is my Vegan Loaded Baked Potatoes With Smokey Tomato Chickpeas, Crispy Kale & Tahini Mustard Sauce recipe. These loaded potatoes are a comforting meal that’s bursting with flavor and nutrients.
Additionally, my Tagliatelle In A Vegan Garlic Courgette Cream With Tender Chestnut Mushrooms & Roasted Cherry Tomatoes recipe is a soul-warming pasta dish that’s perfect for cool evenings.
If you’re in the mood for something hearty and spicy, try my Vegan Buffalo Tofu Chicken Sandwich recipe, it has just the right kick to liven up your lunch routine.
Lastly, no holiday menu would be complete without my Vegan Red Lentil Nut Roast With Hot Cranberries recipe, a festive vegan roast that will surely impress your guests.