Howdy y’all and happy Saturday!
I’ve rustled up a right fun recipe for ya today! We’re talkin’ about a vegan rainbow spiral vegetable tart, sitting pretty in a flakey pie crust, filled to the brim with fresh basil and sun-dried tomato cream.
This lil’ delight is creamy, packed with flavor, nutritious and high in protein to boot. This baby’s got all the fixins!
And I reckon it’d make quite a beautiful and colorful addition to your next dinner party. Maybe even set it up out in the garden if Mother Nature’s bein’ kind.
In fact, this tart feels like just the ticket for welcoming those warmer months!
If you decide to whip up this recipe at home, be sure to tag your snapshot with #myvibrantkitchen on Instagram. I do enjoy seeing all your lovely recreations.
Don’t forget now – sign up for My Vibrant Kitchen’s newsletter and get all the newest recipes, vegan lifestyle tips and travel diaries delivered straight to your inbox.
Vegan Spiral Vegetable Tart With Sun-Dried Tomato Cream Recipe
1 hour 30 mins
– 150 g flour
– ¼ tsp salt
– 100 g margarine
– 2-3 Tbsp ice water
– 350 g extra firm silken tofu
– 4 garlic cloves
– 150 g sun-dried tomatoes
– 2 Tbsp oil (I used the oil from the sun-dried tomato jar)
– ¼ tsp salt
– 2 Tbsp lemon juice
– 3 Tbsp non-dairy milk
– 1 handful basil leaves
– 1 courgette
– 1 aubergine
– 1 carrot
– Pinch of pepper & salt
1. For the tart crust add half of the flour and the salt to a food processor and pulse a few times to combine.
2. Cut the margarine in cubes and sprinkle them on top of the flour mixture. Blitz until everything starts to come together and forms a soft dough.
3. Scrape down the dough from the sides of the food processor and add the remaining flour. Pulse 4 to 5 times until the mixture starts forming crumbles.
4. Transfer the mixture into a mixing bowl, add 2 Tbsp of the ice water and use a wooden spoon to press the mixture into it self until it starts holding together. If it doesn’t hold together add 1 more Tbsp of ice water.
5. Now use your hands to carefully knead the dough and form a ball. Don’t over do it, the less you knead it the flakier the pie crust. You can make the dough by hand in a big mixing bowl combining the mixture with a fork and your fingers.
6. Cover the bowl with a kitchen towel and place it in the fridge.
7. Pre-heat the oven to 180˚C.
8. Take the dough out of the fridge and roll it out on a floured work surface. Transfer the rolled out dough onto a greased tart dish and carefully push it down and work it up the sides. Line it with baking paper, fill it with dried pulses or baking beans and blind bake it for 15 minutes.
9. Meanwhile to make the sun-dried tomato cream, add the silken tofu, garlic cloves, sun dried tomatoes, oil, salt, lemon juice and non-dairy milk to the blender and blitz until smooth and creamy. Add the basil leaves and pulse for a couple of seconds until combined.
10. Use a peeler to shave long thin strips of the courgette, aubergine and carrot. Brush the vegetable slices with oil and sprinkle with pepper and salt.
11. Once you’ve taken the pie crust out of the oven, spread the sun-dried tomato cream in the bottom of the crust and arrange the vegetable slices in circles working your way from the rim inside. You can alternate the vegetables to create rings of different colours.
12. Pop the tart in the oven and bake for about 1 hour until the vegetables are fully cooked. Use a sharp knife for cutting the tart into slices since the vegetable strips can make the cutting a bit messy. Enjoy!
If you’re in the mood for some hearty, wholesome vegan food, let me share a few of my favorite recipes.
First off, you might enjoy my Super Easy One Pan Vegan Sunday Roast recipe. It’s simple to make and full of mouth-watering flavors.
Alternatively, if you’re craving something with a bit more spice, try my Vegan Shakshuka With Scrambled Tofu recipe. It’s a plant-based take on traditional North African dish that is sure to impress.
For something more comfort-food oriented, there’s my Vegan Loaded Baked Potatoes With Smokey Tomato Chickpeas, Crispy Kale & Tahini Mustard Sauce recipe – nothing quite warms the soul like a loaded baked potato!
Lastly, if you’re looking for something lighter but still packed with flavor and texture, go for my Tagliatelle In A Vegan Garlic Courgette Cream With Tender Chestnut Mushrooms & Roasted Cherry Tomatoes recipe.
I’m sure any of these dishes will satisfy your plant-based cravings!