Vegan Swedish Cardamom Buns (Kardemummabullar) Recipe
Vegan Swedish Cardamom Buns (Kardemummabullar)
Prep time: 2 hours 30 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
Total time: 2 hours 50 mins
- 400 g white all purpose flour
- 60 g sugar
- ½ tsp coarsely ground cardamom (I bought pods and ground the seeds in a coffee grinder!)
- 2 sachets (14 g) regular active yeast or 1 sachet (7 g) fast action or quick-rise dried yeast
- ½ tsp salt
- 240 ml soy milk, at room temperature
- 60 g margarine, melted and slightly cooled
- 75 g margarine
- 60 g white caster sugar
- 3 tsp coarsely ground cardamom
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ‘Egg’ wash:
- 4 Tbsp soy milk
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- To make the dough, place the flour, sugar, cardamom, dried yeast and salt in a big mixing bowl. Stir with a wooden spoon to combine.
- Add the soy milk and margarine. Mix with the spoon as much as you can. Once everything is well combined, set aside the spoon and use your hands to knead the dough. You can dust the dough with a little more flour if needed. It’s okay if it’s a little sticky as long as it is workable.
- Knead for 5-8 minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Create a ball with the dough and cover the mixing bowl with a damp tea towel. Let it rise for 1-2 hours until it has doubled in size. The rising time will differ depending on how warm your kitchen is.
- To make the filling, place the margarine, sugar, cardamom and cinnamon in a small bowl and combine with a fork. You might have to melt the margarine a little in the microwave if it’s too hard to mix into a smooth paste. But make sure not to let it go liquid.
- Rolled out risen dough about 1.5 mm thin into a long rectangle on lightly floured surface.
- Evenspread cardamom paste on one half of rolled out dough then fold over other half & gently press down edges.
- Cut about 2 cm wide & 20 cm long strips using pizza cutter wheel or sharp knife then twist each strip & carefully roll around two fingers tucking loose end & placing bun on lined baking sheet.
- Cover buns with damp tea towel & let rise another45-60 minutes till doubled in size.
- PReheat oven to180˚C.
- Mix soy milk & maple syrup for egg wash then generously brush over all buns sprinkling each bun with more coarsely ground cardamom & sugar.
- Bake buns for15-20 minutes till golden brown. Eat hot or cold but best eaten same day as they tend to loose softness when left for too long though they can be frozen & reheated in oven as well.
- Eat & enjoy!
You can also check out my full desserts section for more after-mains treats!