Everyone’s favourite American pasta dish just got a whole lot more summery!
This vegan sweet potato Mac ’n cheese is just as creamy and moreish as the original but with the help of silken tofu and roasted sweet potatoes it’s much lighter and incredibly silky at the same time.
It’s the perfect addition to a vegan BBQ or a summery garden party with friends. And it happens to be pretty nutritious and high in protein too. It’s a real allrounder!
If you make this recipe at home be sure to tag your photo #myvibrantkitchen on Instagram. I love seeing all your beautiful recreations. And don’t forget to sign up for My Vibrant Kitchen’s newsletter to get the latest recipes, vegan lifestyle tips and travel diaries straight to your inbox.
- 500 g sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 7 garlic cloves
- 2 tsp thyme, leaves picked
- 5 Tbsp olive oil
- Pinch of pepper & salt
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp English mustard
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 350 g silken tofu
- 100 ml soy milk
- 200 ml water
- Pepper & salt to taste
- 300 g Macaroni pasta
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C. Peel the sweet potatoes and cut them into cubes.
- Roast the sweet potato, garlic and thyme tossed in the olive oil and pepper and salt in the oven until the sweet potato is tender.
- Cook the macaroni according to the package instructions.
- Place the roasted sweet potato cubes, garlic and thyme in a blender and add the lemon juice, mustard, nutritional yeast, silken tofu, soy milk and water in a blender. Blend until smooth and creamy and add pepper and salt to taste.
- Drain the pasta and toss in the cheesy sweet potato sauce. Enjoy!