Happy new year! I’m a little late, 2017 is 4 days old already. We just got back from Cornwall, where we spent 4 glorious days in a beautiful old manor house, hidden away in the English country side, far from the busy streets of London. Our days were filled with long walks in nature, King Arthur’s castle (or rather whats left of it), lungs full of fresh sea breeze, the world’s largest museum of witchcraft, snoozing away by the fireplace, new year’s day skinny dipping, lots of delicious vegan food and of course one big, crazy NYE party. Spending time in nature is good for the soul and felt like the perfect way to start the new year.
For four days all 45 of us (vegans, vegetarians and meat-eaters alike!) indulged in delicious vegan food, soups, curries, veg bowls, sandwiches, muesli, chocolate mousse, ice cream etc. and we thoroughly enjoyed every single bite.
2016 was a depressing year in many ways and even though it’s tempting to hang our heads and throw in the towel (at least that’s how I felt a lot towards the end of the year) it’s important to raise our voices and act, now more than ever.
It’s Veganuary! This month thousands of people around the world pledge to give up all animal products, for the animals and for the planet.
Having Trump in the White House will be a crushing setback for the fight against global warming, environmental destruction and species extinction. And while being vocal about the problem is a good start, eating an environment-friendly diet, at least for this month, is a great next step. Check out Veganuary.com! It’s full of great resources, from ‘why vegan?’ to recipes, eating out, essentials, meal plans and much more.
There will be lots of exciting things happening on My Vibrant Kitchen this year, too, so make sure to follow along on the blog or on social media. You can look forward to more delicious vegan recipes, travel food diaries and a few bigger projects which have to stay secret for now. MVK will be branching out a little bit in 2017. I’m excited to say the least.
Here are a few of my new year’s resolutions you might be interested in:
- Buy ethically! Charity shops, ethical clothing brands, fewer but more high quality and longer lasting purchases.
- Carry a reusable cup with you. So next time you crave an almond milk latte, you don’t have to throw away a non-recyclable paper/plastic cup. This one was recommended by a friend for its spill-proof-ness: Frank Green Cup, another friend has this one: JOCO cup.
- If you have a vagina use a menstrual cup instead of tampons and reduce the waste you produce. There’s a lot of different brands, this is the one I’ve got: Moon Cup.
- Join activist groups and protests and stand up for what you believe in.
- Choose walking, cycling or public transport over the car and check for train or bus journeys instead of short distance flights. The Eurostar for example connects the UK with the rest of Europe, it’s just a few hours on the train.