Introducing the Vegan Pumpkin, Zesty Orange & Crushed Black Pepper Cake with a Cardamom Cheesecake Topping. It’s quite the mouthful to say, and an even more delightful one to taste, let me tell ya.
This is one of my favorite Autumn recipes!
I just couldn’t resist including all these tantalizing elements in the title! This cake is a veritable fireworks show of flavors, and it needed a name as bold as its taste.
It’s got a fruity essence (think pumpkin-style), it’s got a zing, it’s got a peppery kick, and it’s got a whole lotta orange. Plus, it’s crowned with a creamy, oven-baked cardamom cheesecake topping.
Now, you might be thinking that’s a whole lot of flavor to take in. And you’d be right, honey. But trust me, it’s a wild ride that’s not too overpowering.
Intrigued yet? It’s hard to say no to this tempting treat.
This cake is just the thing to brighten up a crisp autumn afternoon. So, pour yourself a cup of tea and get ready to whip up a pumpkin-infused masterpiece.
Vegan Pumpkin Zesty Orange And Crushed Black Pepper Cake With Cardamom Cheesecake Topping
Prep time: 30 mins
Cook time: 1 hour
Total time: 1 hour 30 mins
- 1½ cups soft light brown sugar
- 1 cup sunflower oil
- 3 Tbsp ground flax seeds
- 6 Tbsp water
- juice of ½ orange
- zest of 1 orange
- 3 cups white all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1½ cups pumpkin puree, can or homemade
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp crushed black pepper
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1½ cups cashews, soaked or boiled
- ½ cup non-dairy milk
- 2 Tbsp white sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 3 tsp ground cardamom
- For this recipe, you need 1½ cups of pumpkin puree. You can either use a can or make the puree at home. If making at home, choose a pumpkin suitable for baking, cut it into pieces, roast in the oven until the flesh is soft, remove the skin, and mash the flesh with a potato masher until smooth.
- Mix the ground flaxseeds with water to make flax-eggs. Stir until it starts to gelify.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the sugar and oil.
- Zest an organic and unwaxed orange using a grater or citrus zester, and add the zest to the mixing bowl. Stir in the juice of half of the orange.
- Add the flour and baking soda, and fold them into the batter.
- Mix in the pumpkin puree, cinnamon, black pepper, and vanilla extract.
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C.
- For the cheesecake layer, add the soaked or boiled cashews to a high-speed blender or food processor. Add the non-dairy milk, white sugar, vanilla extract, lemon juice, and ground cardamom. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Grease a cake tin and pour/scrape the pumpkin cake batter into it. Then pour the cheesecake mixture on top.
- Place the cake tin in the preheated oven and bake for 1 hour or until a knife comes out clean.
Enjoy your Vegan Pumpkin Zesty Orange And Crushed Black Pepper Cake With Cardamom Cheesecake Topping!