These vegan Cookies & Cream Cake Bars are a chocolate lover’s dream come true, straight out of chocolate heaven. A gooey and moist chocolate cake base topped with a rich cookies & cream layer, coarse sea salt and cookie chunks sprinkled on top.
Craving a chocolate fix on a sunny summer’s day? Serve the bars chilled and let the chocolaty goodness melt in your mouth. It doesn’t get much better than that.
Oh wait, maybe it does. They’re super easy to make and are ready in about 30 minutes. Just pop them in the fridge, let the cookies & cream layer set and devour them up to a week later. Even though, lets be realistic, they won’t survive the next day. Enjoy!
- For the brownie layer:
- 2 ½ cups white flour
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cups sugar
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 2 cups water
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- 1 Tbsp White Wine vinegar (Apple Cider vinegar works too)
- 1 Tbsp Vanilla Extract
- ½ cup dark chocolate (finely chopped)
- 1 tsp coarse salt
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- For the cookies & cream layer
- 2 cups cashews
- 1 ½ cups coconut cream (melted)
- 18 cream filled cookies (Oreo style)
- juice of ½ a lemon
- Mix the flour, cocoa powder, sugar and baking powder in a bowl.
- Melt the chopped chocolate using a water bath or the microwave on the lowest heat setting.
- Add the water, vegetable oil, vinegar, vanilla extract and melted chocolate and mix until well combined.
- Grease a baking pan spread the batter evenly and sprinkle with coarse salt and chopped walnuts.
- Bake for about 20 minutes at 175ºC or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Meanwhile using a saucepan cover the cashews with water and bring them to a boil and let them cook for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Drain the water and add the cashews to a blender or food processor.
- Melt the coconut cream (you can use the firm part of a coconut milk can) and add them to the blender. Blend until you have a creamy texture.
- Now add the lemon juice and 10 cream filled cookies and pulse until smooth.
- When the brownie layer is out of the oven pour the cream layer on top, spread it evenly and sprinkle with the chunks of 8 crushed cookies. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours or until the cookie layer has set. Enjoy!