I love nachos with cheesy dip! Love them in the cinema, love them in the pub and especially loved them during study all-nighters in uni.
When I went vegan my nacho obsession came to a sudden end since nachos with salsa or guacamole topping just didn’t cut it for me. Don’t get me wrong, I’m a big guacamole fan but I just like my nachos with cheesy sauce.
Then the other week I couldn’t resist my cravings, bought a bag of nachos and started researching vegan cheese recipes. Some of them were good others were a bit of a fail (one ended up tasting like scrambled eggs, what?!).
And then suddenly (mostly by coincident) I created this one!
This vegan cheesy nacho sauce is creamy, spicy, melts in your mouth and most importantly easy to make! And believe it or not, it’s healthy too.
You’ll find all the ingredients in your local supermarket maybe with the exception of nutritional yeast. I usually buy this one. It’s a very useful thing to keep in your cupboard to give vegan dishes an extra savoury-cheesy taste. I use mine for risottos, parmesan, pestos, etc.
This recipe makes a family-size portion of vegan cheesy sauce, half the amounts if you’re looking for more of a snack size portion.
- 2 cups of finely chopped peeled potatoes
- 1 cup sliced peeled carrots
- 1 cup sliced onions
- 1 cup water of boiled vegetables
- 1 cup cashews
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 3 Tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 ½ Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp salt
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp turmeric
- Bring water to a boil in a saucepan, add the potatoes, carrots and onions and cook for about 10 minutes or until tender.
- Cook the cashew nuts for about 5 minutes until they are soft and easily squish-able with a fork and then drain them.
- Place the nuts, coconut milk, 1 cup of water from the boiled vegetables, nutritional yeast flakes, lemon juice, salt, garlic powder, cayenne pepper and turmeric in a high-speed blender and blend until well combined.
- Drain the vegetables and add them to the mixture. Blend on high-speed until you have a smooth and creamy, cheese-sauce-like texture.
- Pour it over nachos immediately to enjoy the sauce warm or place in the fridge until needed.